- The Game Awards is an event, now on its sixth year, that was created keep the interests of gamers and to honor all games that may have been released for that year
- The Game Awards this year was held on December 12, 2019, at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, California
- Death Stranding and Resident Evil 2 Remake were contenders for Game of the Year, but Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice received the award
Playing video games has become more than just a hobby nowadays. It is now a source of entertainment when it comes to visuals, story telling, and of course, the way the game plays. Big titles emerge and some games come out with a large fanfare, but none can be considered the best game of the year. None yet.
The Game Awards is an event where everything related to video games is celebrated. Produced and hosted by Geoff Keighley, it was first launched back in 2014, and has been held on a yearly basis. This year would be its sixth year.
Held on December 12, 2019 at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, California, there were many predictions going round, with gamers heavily betting on either Death Stranding by Kojima Productions or Resident Evil 2 Remake by Capcom getting the Game of the Year.
At the end of it all, as it was presented by Michelle Rodriguez and Vin Diesel, it was Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice by From Software that was able to get the coveted Game of the Year Award.
Death Stranding still was able to win a few awards awards: Best Score and Music, Best Performance with Mads Mikkelsen, who played Cliff in the game, and Best Direction with its game director Hideo Kojima.
Here are the list of winners for this year’s Game Awards:
- Game of the Year – Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- Best Action Game – Devil May Cry 5
- Best Action/Adventure Game – Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- Best Art Direction – Control
- Best Audio Design – Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
- Best Community Support – Destiny 2
- Content Creator of the Year – Shroud
- Esports Coach of the Year – Zonic
- Best Esports Event of the Year – League of Legends World Championship 2019
- Esports Game of the Year – League of Legends
- Esports Host of the Year – Sjoks
- Esports Player of the Year – Bugha
- Esports Team of the Year – G2 Esports
- Best Family Game – Luigi’s Mansion 3
- Best Fighting Game – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Fresh Indie Game – Disco Elysium
- Best Game Direction – Death Stranding
- Games for Impact – Gris
- Best Independent Game – Disco Elysium
- Best Mobile Game – Call of Duty: Mobile
- Best Multiplayer Game – Apex Legends
- Best Narrative – Disco Elysium
- Best Ongoing Game – Fortnite
- Best Performance – Mads Mikkelsen for Death Stranding
- Best Role Playing Game – Disco Elysium
- Best Score and Music – Death Stranding
- Best Sports/Racing Game – Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
- Best Strategy Game – Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Best VR/AR Game – Beat Saber
There have been a few announcements during the event including world premieres of upcoming video games, but one of the biggest announcements was the reveal of the next-gen console coming from Microsoft, which is the Xbox Series X. It is said that the console will be able to render games at 4K resolution at 60 frames per second, and ray tracing will be included. An upcoming game for the console, Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II was also premiered, and the trailer was done with real-time rendering from the Xbox Series X.